POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : black reflections on shiny balls : Re: black reflections on shiny balls Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: black reflections on shiny balls
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 27 Jan 2007 11:02:34
Message: <45bb779a@news.povray.org>
"Johan Feyaerts" <joh### [at] nospamhotmailcom> wrote in message
> yep that seems to work.
> I don't really get why the trace level needs to increase when there is a
> transparent layer around the shiny finish,but anyhow problem  is solved
now.

Max trace is the amount of objects that the light ray is allowed to
reflect/pass through before it returns the colour as black. With you putting
a transparent layer around each ball, you've doubled the number of
interactions (once for the transparent layer, once for the reflection)

I've got a scene that uses trees with alpha-mapped transparency and water
and because of those two, I need a max trace of about 90. If I remove the
trees, it's more like 10. If I remove the water, it's somewhere around 40.